More information for landlords

Tenant referencing

All prospective tenants to be named on the Tenancy Agreement will complete a tenancy referencing form before being recommended to you. If accepted full referencing will then take place via UK Tenant Data (independent referencing agency). On receipt of references, we will contact you again for final approval.

Tenancy agreement

A Tenancy Agreement will be prepared for all tenants to sign before moving into the property. The Agreement will include comprehensive terms for the tenants to adhere to. Under the Housing Act 1988 (amended 1996) an Assured Shorthold Tenancy will be used.


An Inventory and Schedule of Condition is needed for the management or rent collection services, to ensure that all items of furniture, fixtures and fittings left at the property are recorded and their condition noted. The tenant deposit will be held against any damages or excess wear and tear shown against the inventory.

Rent payments

The first month’s rent is collected in advance, prior to the tenant’s occupation of the property. Further rental payments will then be collected in advance by standing order (where possible). Through the Management Service the rent will be paid into your bank account (via BACS) or forwarded onto you (by cheque) normally within ten working days each time the rent is paid by the tenant. A monthly statement will then be forwarded to you. Through the Tenant Find Only Service it will be up to the Landlord to collect any future rents from the tenant.

Property inspections

As part of the Management Service, an inspection will be conducted at your property, during a tenancy. An inspection report will then be forwarded to you.


At all reasonable times we will contact you when a fault is reported in order to take your instructions. You then have the option to use either your own contractors or our own approved contractors. In the case of an emergency we reserve the right to instruct our own approved contractors.

Tenancy renewals

As part of our service we will contact you and take your instructions on whether you wish to allow the tenant to renew their tenancy. If you wish the tenant to renew then we will contact them immediately. Should the tenant wish to renew then we will arrange a further 6 or 12-month tenancy (subject to your instructions). If the tenant inform us they wish to move out at the end of their tenancy then we can get your property re-advertised to get prospective tenants lined up ready to move in at the end of the current tenancy.

End of tenancy

As part of our fully managed service we will conduct an end of tenancy checkout report for comparison with the inventory.

Non-UK resident landlord

A landlord is considered an non-resident landlord for tax purposes if they are out of the country for six months or more as a total in any tax year. Landlords are obligated to pay tax if it is due and must declare their income whether or not they are resident in this country. Further information can be found here.

Mortgaged properties

You must tell your building society or bank (if the property is mortgaged) that you are thinking of letting the property. It is usually one of the conditions of your mortgage that you apply for consent to let the property.


You must advise your buildings and contents Insurers of your plans as they too may need to make alterations in order to cover a third party residing at the property.

Leasehold properties

If the property is a leasehold, you must confirm with the freeholder that there are no restrictions or covenants which prevent you from letting the property and which the tenants must adhere to during the tenancy period.

Furniture fire safety

All soft furnishings such as settees, sofas, beds, padded chairs, pillows, cushions and so on must comply with the fire resistance requirements contained within the regulations. Items of furniture made prior to 1950 are termed as antiques and as such are excluded from the regulations. Usually a label is attached to the item of furniture to confirm it is acceptable.

Gas safety

A qualified engineer (Gas Safe Registered) must check all gas appliances and installations within the accommodation on an annual basis for its safe use. This includes such items as gas fires, central heating boilers, gas cookers and other gas appliances. Regulations also insist that flues and chimneys are clear of obstructions and in the correct place. The engineer must issue a certificate and a copy presented to the tenant at the start of any tenancy. Any items that fail to comply with the regulations must be fixed or removed immediately.

Electrical safety

Electrical safety standards in the private rented sector regulations in England are expected to come into force in 2020, meaning it will be mandatory for landlords to ensure every fixed electrical installation is inspected and tested at least every five years by a qualified person. For more information please contact your local lettings branch.

Important note:

This is only a brief guide to the regulations. Further information and details are provided in our Terms of Business and/or by asking a member of staff.

Need advice on letting your property?

Is your mortgage deal coming to an end?

Talk to Nottingham Mortgage Services today and their expert advisers will compare thousands of mortgages from over 60 different lenders to find the right deal for you. They won’t just look at the headline rates, they’ll weigh up your financial circumstances and look at all the mortgage features and hidden costs to find the ideal mortgage for your needs..

Sign up to our newsletter

We regularly send out newsletters with product information, advice on improving your finances and top tips. If you would like to receive this please sign up to our newsletter, which you can unsubscribe from at any point.

Join us on facebook

Get updated on our latest competitions and share your news with us.